Wednesday, March 27, 2013

My ingrown toenail!



An ingrown toenail is one of the most painful foot conditions as I have experienced this past week.

There are many ways to prevent ingrown toenails. But sometimes those measures aren’t enough to ward off a problem. Sometimes, a podiatrist has to surgically remove a toenail using a local anesthetic. Picture on the right is after the ingrown procedure that I received.  As you can see the Podiatrist takes as little as possible of the nail so that it looks normal. 

 Although ingrown toenails can sometimes be hereditary, they're most often caused by incorrect nail trimming -- and they become even more painful when they're squeezed by shoes that are too short and tight. Fortunately, there are simple steps you can follow to help prevent ingrown toenails.

The best tip for preventing ingrown toenails is: trim your nails straight across the top -- NOT in a rounded shape. This can cause the skin to grow    around the nail causing it to become ingrown. In addition, avoid wearing shoes or socks that squeeze your toes together.

If you are diabetic or have poor circulation, seek professional attention.  People who are diabetic are at higher risk for problems because many times they have a longer healing time as well as neuropathy which prevents them from feeling any problems. 
Suggestion to prevent a problem:
Switch to longer shoes with a bigger toe box at least 1/2 an inch from tip of your longest toe.
Soak your foot in a solution of 1/4 cup of white vinegar to one gallon warm water for 10 minutes twice a day if infection is present and contact your Podiatrist.
Check your feet daily if you are diabetic to make sure there are no problems with any of the nails or toes on your feet.
 If you believe you have the start of an ingrown toenail, apply an antiseptic or betadine ointment after you have soaked in the vinegar solution. This is especially important, because one of the greatest dangers of ingrown toenails is the possibility of infection. Try to seek Podiatric care as soon as possible if you are in pain and the area is red swollen and draining.
Another great way to prevent ingrown toenails is to come in to see a Podiatric Nail Technician for a professional pedicure or manicure!

Bethany CMA, Licensed Nail Technician

2 comments:


  1. I have been doing some research on the subject as I think I need ingrown toenail surgery. I was reading a website called:

    IngrownToenailSurgery.info and it discussed the Vandenbos procedure. What are your thoughts on the Vandenbos and its angle of treating overgrown skin as opposed to ingrown toenails?

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless Dr Isibor for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES since 2017 and I was taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr Isibor, how he cured HERPES DIABETES and CANCER with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine through UPS SPEED POST. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 14 days later i was cured from HERPES, Dr Isibor truly you are great, do you need his help also? Why don't you contact him through drisiborspellhome@gmail.com Or contact his number via (WHATSAPP ONLY: You can also whatsapp him via +2348107855231.

    ReplyDelete